Thursday, May 1, 2008

Jacqueline's Weight-Loss Program

Jax began acting a little sad and cranky a few days before Jonathan's return. She perked up a bit at his arrival but then the mystery illness came back full-force; continuing for six weeks, causing Jax to lose lots of weight, worrying us, confounding doctors, until at last she recovered - a much lighter child (she dropped from the 95th percentile in weight for girls her age to the 35th percentile), and she temporarily lost her language skills, but everything seems to be coming back to normal now. Her first healthy day was a happy one for all of us, and prompted Jonathan to exclaim, "Oh - she doesn't just cry all the time!"



We laid pretty low during those weeks. We did manage to squeeze in a "Welcome Home" party for Jonathan, though! (Of course, Jax was so sick and needing so much attention that I was a complete stressball by the time Jonathan got home from his day's appointments - he saved the party with his help with the many last-minute preparations. He now maintains that his next party must be a surprise party...)

Apart from all that, though, thanks to the illness Jax now has a new set of "first" words - and Jonathan was happy to be included this time. Her new set began slowly and by the end of May she had three words: mama, dada, and "mai" for Michael. By the end of June her vocabulary would increase to include "look!" (when she sees something that she wants to show others), "that!" (when she wants to know the name of something), along with some almost-unintelligible sounds that mean squirrel, trees, birds, shoes, and book.

5 comments:

Winn Family said...

Little Jax looks beautiful in that picture--I can't WAIT till you get here! When is that by the way--like the 16th or something? We're super excited and last night Luke started crying and saying he wanted to see Michael. (we don't know any other Michaels) and I thought that was sad/cute. Anyway--can't wait.
Oh, and I laughed out loud when I read that Jonathan wants a surprise party next time....that's hilarious!!! You guys make me laugh!

Z. Marie said...

Poor girl! But at least she's just as cute as ever!

Kae said...

That is a little scary, I am so glad Jax's is doing better. Did they think it could be related to a bug bite or something else. I hope things calm down for you soon.

Tyler said...

Nicole!
I'm glad to see you've updated! We are missing you guys a lot so you'll have to tell us whenever you're coming out to Utah. I'm glad to see that Jax is feeling better. Tell Michael hi from Tyler and I'll update the blog soon too. Let me know how you are doing!
Danielle

The Mrs said...

I too am happy to see an update. So sorry to hear about your scary/difficult weeks but glad that everyone is settling in and things are getting back to "normal".